Advanced Paediatric Life Support
Established since 1997 with courses throughout Australia, the three day Advanced Paediatric Life Support course is recognised as the international gold standard in paediatric emergency training.
The APLS learning environment is interactive, practical and covers all aspects of the emergency management of children, taught by leading paediatric specialists.
Before the course, candidates explore key APLS concepts and clinical priorities with a series of mandatory e-learning modules.
During the face-to-face course, candidates will apply this knowledge through scenario role plays, skill stations and workshops in small group sessions with an instructor ratio of 1/2. A comprehensive course manual is also provided to all candidates for pre and post-course reference.
APLS is the recommended course for all hospital staff working in clinical environments where children and adolescents are cared for, by the RACP's 'National Standards for the Care of Children and Adolescents'.
The course covers:
- Basic life support
- Advanced support of the airway and ventilation
- Cardiac arrest management and defibrillation
Diagnosis and management of the seriously ill child:
- Breathing difficulties
- Abnormal pulse rate and rhythm
- Decreased conscious level
- Convulsing child
Diagnosis and management of the seriously injured child:
- Chest injury
- Abdominal injury
- Head trauma
- Spinal injury
- Burns and scalds
- Electrical injuries and drowning
- Airway and breathing
- Interpreting trauma X-rays
- Stabilisation and transfer
Further topics include:
- Fluid and electrolyte management
- Acid-base balance
- Pain management
- Septic child
- Neurological assessment
- Resuscitation of the baby at birth
- And more
- Three days
- $2120 (doctors)
- $1920 (nurses and paramedics)
Registration fee includes copy of the APLS manual
All APLS courses include a pre-course online learning component. The online modules will take 8-10 hours and must be completed before you attend the face-to-face course. Please click here for more information on APLS online learning.
- Increased confidence, awareness, skills and ability to assess and respond to a range of paediatric emergencies
- Certificate issued upon successful completion
- RACGP / ACRRM / ACEM points available